Sunday, May 19, 2013

Media Blog #7: Acqua Di Gio


             Hmm, where to start with this advertisement... First off, i love the smell of the Giorgio Armani cologne. My mom takes forever to shop. She can stay in Nordstroms forever, and when there's nothing better for me to do, i go straight to the cologne section for men. Yeah i know, i'm pretty lame. I go to the mall with my mother and smell men's cologne.

             I think the target audience for this magazine ad is for all men and teenage girls to their mid twenties. On the advertisement, there is a young, handsome man placed in the center of the page. Teenage boys would connect to this ad because they think, "Wow, that guy is handsome. If i wear this cologne maybe i will be too." It's kind of ridiculous but that's how advertisers suck their customers in. And sadly, it works. The magazine ad can be appealing to older men because they think that if they wear this cologne, they will feel young again. Teenage girls are crazy. When they see this ad, the first thought that comes up is, "I want my boyfriend to look like THAT." So they buy the cologne for their special someone, hoping that he will spritz some Acqua Di Gio on himself, go to sleep, and wake up looking like a hot Abercrombie model.

             The biggest, and most notable advertisement appeals is the "need for attention". This is quite prominent because there is a very handsome man, who is of course shirtless, staring off in the distance. Many people are attracted to this and it seems as though many advertisers use this technique. There is also the "need for autonomy" present in this ad. This ad tells the reader that if they want to be singled out within a group of people, they should wear this cologne. The man in the magazine ad is at the center of attention and he is thrown in out faces because he takes up most of the ad. People want to be this man, and that is exactly what advertisers want. I also saw the "need for aesthetic sensations" because the man's beauty attracts most people.

             Overall, i thought the Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio advertisement was not very effective. Because they used only grey, white, and silver colors, it made the ad extremely drab and i don't think it would grab anyone's attention. The product placement was not very efficient because it is placed randomly at the corner of the page. It blends in with the rest of the ad and it's not very noticeable as well. I know it is probably very hard to advertise a fragrance because we don't know how it smells on television or a magazine but, a shirtless man has nothing to do with cologne.

             

3 comments:

  1. Haha Sydney don't worry your not the only one that goes over to the men's colone and jus smells it. I do think that this ad is good. It drew me in because well first of all there is a hot shirtless guy on it and because the colors are dark and different from the white pages that surround it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, seeing as you have written about the male counterpart to the perfume I presented in class, I just had to comment. First off, I completely agree with your analysis behind this advertisement. It doesn't really stand out, and if I were quickly flipping though Vogue or Marie Claire, I would probably overlook it. Now, if this advertisement could fold out for you to smell the cologne, I would stop. Is it just me, or do we always stop to smell those perfume pages that are just a little bit thicker than the usual magazine page? That just might be how perfume advertisements get our attention...
    In addition, and I'm sorry if I'm going to break your heart, but I don't think that Simon Nessman (the model) is too spectacular either. It might just be me...but the advertisement for Acqua di Gioia might just be a bit more attractive, with Emily Didonato and all.
    As for the product placement, I've noticed that the majority of Armani cologne/perfume ads have their products like that. Granted, some are a bit more effective, like the one with Beyonce and Diamonds Intense, where she is holding the bottle in the middle of the advertisement in the front of her face. If that's not product placement, I don't know what is. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this cologne could really give me a boyfriend that looked like that, I'd buy it and spray it on EVERYTHING. I agree that the black and grey color scheme was very boring. It's classic and I think it appeals to our need for aesthetic sensation. Despite that appeal, the color scheme doesn't do that much for the ad. I don't really think men are as choosy when it comes to colognes, as many women are. The ad needs to grab their attention right away. I don't think this ad does that.

    ReplyDelete