Sunday, May 12, 2013

Media Blog #6: The Lip Balm That Makes You Smile

 
               Yes, before I start, I do own several of these EOS lip balms. Putting that aside, I will just be analyzing the ad of the ever so famous "egg lip balms." I am pretty much addicted to chap stick. I have so many empty tubes of different kinds of lip balms and I find a new one that I want every time I go to Target. But I still have chapped lips. When I saw this magazine ad, I didn't know that these were lip balms. I've never seen chap stick shaped like balls and that definitely caught me off guard. The concept sucked me in and I bought several of these... chap balls.
 
               I thought the EOS lip balm ad was quite interesting. It definitely appeals to girls in their teens because not many little girls care about chapped lips and I can't envision older women using this instead of a lip stick. The colors made it more appealing to girls because of the blurred grassy area in the background which went along nicely with the product placement. In my opinion, the product placement is very clever. There are a few strawberries scattered on the table which was replaced by the pink EOS lip balms in a glass bowl. It makes it particularly appetizing with the generous helping of whipped cream melting on the lip balms. This makes it seem like the strawberry flavored lip balms are as good as strawberries and crème.
 
             It's the lip balm that makes you smile. Where did they get that from? This statement is extremely vague and makes me wonder if any lip balm made me smile. The little paragraph in the top right corner is packed with Weasel Words. It refers to the EOS lip balms as "all natural" and it will make your lips "soft, smooth, and perfectly moisturized". There is no guarantee that this is true but they include this to make the reader buy this product. There is also a technique of Magic Ingredience present. The ad says that the EOS lip balms is "paraben-free and packed with shea butter and jojoba oil". At the bottom right hand corner, it is stamped with the words "95% Organic, All Natural." 
 
             Words played a big part in this ad because this company has become largely successful. Good thing they used all those magic ingredients.
 
           
 
 
              

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I, too, have become a victim of chap stick hoarding. I love all the different brands, flavors, colors and serums out there. I don't know what any of it does for chapped lips, but it sure does sound cool. This ad's use of weasel words is definitely one I've fallen for before. They're smart advertisers, when it comes to makeup and lip balms, using words like these will seduce teenage girls into buying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. The Eos chapstick is very addicting. Whenever I see someone use some, it makes my lips chap, so I take out mine and then I use mine. What i don't understand is how ice cream connects to the chapstick. "The lip balm that makes you smile." They are saying that even though you can automatically smile without any lipstick, the Eos lip balm will satisfy all your needs.

    ReplyDelete